There are all kinds of things that we learn when we become parents for the first time.
Everyone’s experience is different. If one of my girlfriends were to ask me what the biggest lessons I’ve learned so are, here are the ones that would make my top 5 list:
1. Time truly flies by: It’s super cliche and everyone says it, but it’s true. Soak up every moment with your little one. The dishes and vacuuming can wait.
2. You see the world differently: I love watching my son learn. Seeing the world through his eyes makes me appreciate the small things and reminds me how amazing the world is. My son has changed my perspective on life, love and everything in between.
3. The motherly instincts kicked in fast: I hadn’t had much experience with babies and was afraid that I wouldn’t have a clue what to do when my baby was born. Within hours of my little guy’s birth, I felt like we had known each other forever. It didn’t take long to figure out the different sounds he would make based on what he needed and we quickly found our groove.
4. People give you advice (whether you ask for it or not): This is probably the most frustrating thing I have encountered as a new mom. Some people need to be reminded that there are as many ways to parent as there are babies on this planet. I’ve learned to do what works for my son and me, and not what others think is best. Go with your gut. No one knows your kid like you do.
5. Cuddles cure everything: This one is self explanatory 🙂 Cupcakes (for mom!) also help!
What are some of the lessons you learned when you became a parent?