I almost feel a slight bit of anxiety typing ’20 months’ and associating that with my son. Odin will be 2 years old in 4 short months. Although he is long out of the baby stage, I can’t help but keep asking myself where my baby went and where this little boy came from. As most moms can relate: he is growing up too fast.
Odin turned 20 months old on July 29th. Here are some of his favourite things, his favourite foods and the things we are looking forward to:
- Mega Bloks – hands down these are Odin’s favourite things to play with. You could put him in front of his blocks and he would build them, knock them down, rebuild and repeat for hours. I love that he loves blocks, as they encourage him to use his imagination and helps him practice different motor skills.
- Animals – we live in a rural area and are surrounded by farms. Everyday we go for a family walk and take Odin to say hi to horses, cows, chickens, ducks and the neighbourhood dogs. He has always loved animals, but over the past month he gets so excited about them and points and waves to them which babbling away – usually pointing to the animals, looking at us and saying “I get?”
- Wooden Peg Puzzles – when we knew Odin was on his way, we had bought a number of things for him that we knew he wouldn’t be able to use as a baby, but would be able to play with when he was a bit older. Over the past month Odin has been obsessed with putting his puzzles together. What shocks me the most is how quickly he masters them. We will be looking for new puzzles in the next few weeks so that he doesn’t get bored!
- Red Panda – we went to a family birthday party at Build-A-Bear Whorkshop at Bayshore Mall in Ottawa. Odin selected a red panda to build, and with his limited vocabulary, named it ‘Uh-Oh’. Uh-Oh now travels everywhere with us.
- Fruits – melon (all kinds), apples, grapes, berries (all kinds), even dried fruit – the list goes on. He will eat a million fruits before touching a vegetable, which is something we continue to work on.
- Pasta – he is like me in this regard. He loves all kinds of pasta (and using the pasta sauce as face paint).
- Chicken – finally! We have spent a lot of time trying to get Odin to eat a little bit of meat and this month he really took a liking to chicken.
- Apple sauce
- Yogurt – after going through a yogurt loving phase, Odin barely wanted yogurt over the past few months. However, in the past couple of weeks he can’t get enough of it.
Looking Forward To:
- The Fall – dare I say it? Before I wish the summer away, we are looking forward to the fall and some time off as a family. We have a trip to Boston planned for October, as I was able to get my hands on tickets to see the Patriots at home in Foxboro!!!
- Football season – I don’t even care if it’s preseason football. Odin loves watching football so much and I can’t wait to see his retains to the games now that he is more vocal.
- Cottage weekend – we get to spend some time with our friends in the next couple of weeks at their cottage in the Kawarthas (this also means wolf paws ice cream from Kawartha Dairy 😉 )
Sidenote: I’m looking forward to running the Canada Army Run half Marathon in September. It’s the last half marathon I raced in before getting pregnant with Odin!