Birth Story for Baby #2: Lennon Elizabeth

Back when I was pregnant, I had every intention of documenting my pregnancy on this blog. Those ambitions got derailed pretty quickly. However, I often start writing a post, leave it unfinished, and, well, it stays unfinished. I’d like to blog more regularly, but for now, I’ll do a quick catch up post. Weeks 20-40 of my pregnancy were busy with work and life in general. I took most of July off on vacation to spend some extra time with Odin before his sibling arrived – we didn’t find out the gender until baby was born.

Due date: August 2nd.

On August 2nd, after weeks of our neighbourhood being on baby watch, I started having contractions. We went for a walk around lunch time, and many people stopped us to see how I was holding up. During these conversations I left out the part that I was timing my contractions while we were walking. Around 4:30 that day, my contractions had been getting closer together, and we live half an hour from the hospital, but I didn’t feel like it was time to leave yet.

Fortunately my husband felt it was go time, and called his parents to watch Odin. When they arrived, I was leaning on a chair during a contraction and told them there’s a chance we’d be sent home. His mom looked at me as if to say “yeah, right”.

We got to the hospital and once there was a room for me, I went onto the bed so that they could start the assessment and hook up the monitor to my belly. As soon as the nurse went to buckle the monitor, my water broke – it was 6pm. Roughly 6 contractions later I was pushing, and at 6:47pm Lennon Elizabeth Khan entered the world weighing a whopping 6lbs 10oz and was waving to her momma.


She was very hungry and wanted to nurse right away. I was so thankful that breastfeeding went well for us as it had with Odin. I didn’t have any stitching that needed to be done and everything went as well as it could. I was so lucky to have such a short and easy labour – I didn’t have drugs for the delivery of either of my children, which was what I had been hoping for each time (and thankful to have been able to follow ‘the plan’).

IMG_0510Around 8-8:30, Ryan’s parents came to the hospital with Odin. Odin was a bit nervous to see me on the hospital bed, but I was able to walk around and carry on as I normally did, so he was fine once he realized I was ok. He loved his sister from the very moment he saw her.

My labour with Odin had been very quick, and all I had been told was that it’s even faster the second time. In my case, they weren’t kidding. 47 minutes after getting into the hospital bed I was holding my little baby girl. The one that would complete our family.

Lennon is now just over one month old and the transition from one to two children has been busy, but honestly not as chaotic as I was expecting. I’ve learned that routines are important, especially for Odin, and that I always need to have a snack or something close by when nursing Lennon – because that’s always the time when Odin decides he is hungry.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s